Purpose of the Position
The Early Childhood Educator Support Teacher is responsible to help the supervising teacher with the day-to-day operation of the child day care facility by:
- Assisting in the delivery of the daily program
- Supervising children
- Following policies and procedures established by the operator.
Under the direction of the Daycare Coordinator and Primary Staff, the ECE Support Teacher is responsible for creating and supporting a warm, nurturing environment that builds on children’s developmental assets.
Due to the vulnerability of this population, it is critical that safety be a priority and all safety requirements be adhered to at all times. Failure to provide adequate services resulting in an unsafe or unfit environment for children could result in personal liability for the Support Teacher.
- Assist with activities on the daily program
- Supervise children during free play, outdoor play and field trips
- Assist children with personal tasks – e.g. diapering, dressing for outdoor play, hand washing
- Advise supervisor of equipment and maintenance needs
- Follow policies and procedures established by the operator. These include:
- Positive Behavior Policy and Procedures
- Parental Involvement Procedures
- Emergency Evacuation Procedures
- Routines – e.g. snack time, outdoor play
- Understand and fulfill the role of a support staff person in the operation of the facility:
- Carry out administrative duties as requested by supervisors
- Wash and sanitize equipment and furnishings
- Keep information on children and families confidential
- Know the location and use of emergency equipment, and emergency contact numbers
- Pursue ongoing professional development through appropriate courses, seminars, or workshops.
- Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications & Regulation Requirements
- Satisfactory criminal record check, including a vulnerable sector search, completed by the RCMP*
- Statement about whether or not there are any outstanding criminal charges, and details*
- Up-to-date immunizations*
- Tuberculosis screening*
*required by the NWT Child Day Care Standards Regulations
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of child development theories and practices
- Knowledge of safe and appropriate environment and activities for children
- An understanding of the NWT cultural environment
- Problem solving and decision making
- Effective verbal and written communication
- Stress management
- Able to maintain strict confidentiality in performing duties
- Be able to interact effectively with young children
- Be able to build healthy relationships with young children and other staff
- Be respectful
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Sound work ethics
- Be consistent and fair
- Be compassionate and understanding
- Be able to build esteem
- Able to take direction
Caring for children can be physically demanding. the Support Teacher may be lifting and/or carrying children and equipment and may spend time sitting on the floor or child sized furniture.
The Support Teacher will be expected to clean and maintain equipment and the facility; they may also work throughout the age groups. The Support Teacher may come in contact with children who are ill and/or contagious and must take precautions to ensure the health and safety of all children, parents, staff and themselves.
The Support Teacher will be working in a busy and occasionally noisy environment. There may be a number of activities and situations happening at once, and the Support Teacher will have to help ensure all children are supervised at all times.
The Support Teacher may experience smells associated with toileting and children who are ill. There may be times that the environment is noisy and busy.
Caring for children can be stressful and frustrating. The Support Teacher must help ensure that children are supervised at all times, and that children are involved in safe and appropriate activities within a caring environment. There may be a number of situations happening at once, and the Support Teacher must be prepared to handle or assist in handling accidents and emergencies at any time.
Full time position 7.5 hr/day, 37.5 hr/week. Salary is $22.25/hour
Shift hours are between 7:30 am – 5:45 pm Monday to Friday
To apply for this job please forward your resume with cover letter to email@example.com.